Sunday, November 22, 2009

I'm So Cold!?!?

Every once in a while, the American Embassy opens their private pool for any Americans who are here to come and swim. It was the weekend and I had never been swimming outside in November before, so I (and many others) decided to take advantage of the offer. The pool is in the embassy compound which is very well shaded by trees and other lovely greenery. It was great fun at first, but as the sun started going down, it just kept getting colder and colder until I was shivering uncontrollably and even my teeth were chattering. We started talking about warm soup and hot chocolate and all the other comforting things of winter. As Rachel was driving Kristie and I home, my one resounding thought was "I AM SO COLD!!!" When we got home, I quickly dried off and put on some of my warmest clothes and curled up on our sofa while waiting for this terrible chill to dissipate. I had a terrific laugh at myself when I checked the weather and found out that the temperature outside was a freezing 87 degrees! Haha! I guess I must be starting to adapt to the Djiboutian way. After all, they all say that we are in the "cold" season now. I talked to one girl who said she has to use four covers at night just to stay warm. I laughed hyserically and told her that I myself sleep under a fan with no covers in shorts and a tank top. She was amazed at my tolerance for "cold" weather. (Usually the coldest it gets at night is the mid-70's.) Perhpas my tolerance is not so great after all. :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah! I'm so glad to know you have a blog. I've enjoyed catching up on the last few posts. Your post on male attention reminded me of my experiences in Morocco. I'm looking forward to more posts ... and (inshallah) maybe a visit in the future. If you're curious about Kenya, my blog is www.dunehopperdiaries.blogspot.com.

    Lillis

    ReplyDelete
  2. 70 to 87 degrees at night...thats easy after you've lived at Douthart before they turn the heat off in the Spring! Its so good to read all your stories. We miss you, but I know that you are following His plans!

    ReplyDelete