Tuesday, November 17, 2009
English Club
Recently, Kristie took me to my first meeting of the university’s English club. It is a completely student-run group and each Thursday, university students gather to have a debate and practice their English. This week, the three topics were “How do you see (what do you think of) the youth of this country?” “What are the good and bad aspects of modern society?” and “What is the importance of learning English?” It was very culturally instructive and quite hilarious at times. Students would take turns going up to the front of the room and giving their opinion on one of the questions then the other students would raise their hands and either ask questions for further explanation or challenge student #1 on a point they had made. Question #3 (what is the importance of learning English?) was by far the most popular one. And there were many opinions ranging from one guy who thought that English was the best and easiest of all languages to learn (I couldn’t fathom this—I’m a native speaker and I don’t even think that) to another girl who thought that we should all focus on our mother tongues and not sacrifice culture for language. The first guy got many questions and challenges. When people agreed with a point very well made, they would burst into clapping, cheering and even laughing. I have noticed that while Somalis can be harsh in their criticism and quite aggressive, they can also be very friendly and warm in their approval and laughter. I think at least part of it depends on whether you are an insider or an outsider in the community. But anyway, then the students egged us white folks on and asked for one of us to stand up and talk. I got up and let them choose the question for me. They agreed on #2, so I gave my opinion on the effects of modern society and then introduced myself and told them I would be one of their English professors next semester. They peppered me with questions and asked for my advice about learning English. Many of them seemed quite excited and although many of the students had been chatting while others were up front, they were almost all silent for me. After an hour or so, there was a break because it was prayer time, so many of the students went to the mosque next door, but a few of the women stayed behind. I chatted with a very sweet girl whose family was originally from Yemen. After the break, the students played some American rap songs which kind of baffled me. I couldn’t even understand the lyrics, so I’m sure they didn’t get much either. But considering what most rap songs are about, that was probably a good thing! Afterwards, I met some of the student leaders (most of which were young women) and they crowded around me asking lots of questions. One girl wanted to know if I was Arab. I told her no, that I was purely American. “Really? But you must be at least half-Arab. Your coloring and features look right, even though you are a little light. The way you dress and cover your head, the phrases you use—you must be!” I told her I was very sorry to disappoint, but I was not even half-Arab. Another girl asked if I spoke French as well as English. When I said yes, she seemed very pleased. When I told her I wanted to learn Somali also, well...that did it. Soon there was a group of girls chorusing around me “Oh! We will teach you! We will teach you!” One girl said she had a grammar book and would teach me the Somali alphabet. They were already making plans before I could even really accept their offer. I was planning on waiting a few months before starting on Somali, but I’m not sure these girls will let me wait. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hannah,
ReplyDeleteI love reading your blog. Life sounds really exciting with all of the cultural differences to learn about. Good luck with learning Somali. It sounds like you'll have lots of help.
I loved reading your entries from Djibouti. I had to laugh out loud several times. I just have one question. Are there any Djiboutians in Djibouti? ;-) I've only heard about Somalians. Please enlighten me. Love you! Mom
ReplyDeleteHa, yes! Djibouti is full of 'Djiboutians', but the cultural background of most people is Somali, Afar or Arab. So some could be a Djiboutian Arab or a Djiboutian Somali and so on. There are Somalian Somalis and Djiboutian Somalis and there are similarities because they ultimately come from the same people group, but being in a different country does mean there are some differences. But when I say, 'Somali culture', that means local culture, because Somalis are the dominant people group and culture in Djibouti. Is that as clear as mud? :)
ReplyDeleteWell actually, that does make sense. Have a lot of Somalians fled to Djibouti because of the total lack of stability in the government? I'm sure glad Djibouit has a stable government!
ReplyDelete