Now it was my turn to laugh as I imagined an American friend bluntly telling me how fat I’ve gotten in one breath and how beautiful I look in the next. But in this culture, a little fat makes you more appealing. When so many women are stick thin, a little meat on the bones is a good thing I guess. None of my western friends made any mention or seemed to take any notice of this change, but almost all my close Djiboutian friends commented on my weight. I overheard our houseworker telling my roommate “My goodness, Hannah has really gotten fat hasn’t she?” I yelled from the other room “Hey! I can hear you and I am not fat!” She laughed and kept saying the Somali equivalent of “Fattie fattie Hannah! You’re such a fattie!" She also told me quite delightedly "Now I look like the young single woman and you look like the fat old married woman!” Trying to hide my laughter, I grabbed a wet towel and hit her butt with it before we both collapsed on the ground in fits of laughter. But I still maintain I am not fat, the most I will consent to is only a slight extra pudginess at best. :)
I don't even know how friends can see any difference in weight since the clothes I normally wear are so long and loose I've practically got enough room for another person. They all say they can see it in my cheeks. Judge for yourself. The picture on the top is my "thin picture". It was taken last winter when my Mom came to visit. Many people commented during this time that I looked like I was losing weight. Some even asked if I was sick, but I was fine--just working a lot. The picture on the bottom is my "fat picture", taken recently while I was visiting a Masaai village in Kenya towards the end of my "eating frenzy." Personally, I don't see it but I seem to get more compliments now that I am "fat."

I see a little difference, but you definitely aren't fat by American standards. Between obese people and anorexics here, it is hard to find someone of normal size, which you definitely are. It was no secret I thought you weren't eating enough when I was there, so I'm glad to see you have gotten "fatter." I guess I'm really beautiful in Djiboutian eyes. ;-)
ReplyDelete*wild, hysterical laughter*
ReplyDeleteYou look great in both pictures, Hannah! I'm not sure I can tell much difference. :)
Since I'm your sister, I'm not really objective...but I think you're the perfect size. The American culture is too focused on abnormal thin-ness and other exterior vainities. It is more important to be healthy and happy than thin. However, I think you are all three!
ReplyDeleteHey Hannah, I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say...I love this post- it really made me smile! It's so funny how differently people in other cultures see beauty. I was just in India for a year and had a VERY similar experience. I gained a lot of weight in the beginning and people immediately thought of it as a good thing.
ReplyDeleteAlso, you look the same in both pics =). Hope you are loving traveling the world.